Hatteras Island Surf Challenge FAQs
October 5 – 7, 2018
- Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Home
- Directions, Maps, and Boundaries
- Entry Form & Registration
- Become a Sponsor
HATTERAS ISLAND SURF FISHING CHALLENGE FAQs
1. Does this tournament include and special 4WD privileges on Hatteras Island?
No, this tournament gets no special driving privileges. For all information about rules and permitting for driving on the Hatteras Island beach, you should go to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore website at www.nps.gov/caha, or call them at (252) 473-2111.
2. Is this an individual or a team competition? Prizes or cash?
This is an individual competition–each individual angler is competing for leaderboard places–and all 23 leaderboard places are cash-based.
3. What are the boundaries?
There is no sound or pier fishing, and you must fish from the Hatteras Island surf. The northern boundary is the northern most house is Mirlo Beach/Rodanthe (on the NPS/Pea Island line), the southern boundary is 1/2 mile north of Hatteras Inlet, and no fishing the Point (1/2 mile to the north and south).
4. When do you update the leaderboard over the weekend of fishing, and where can I find the updated leaderboards?
Live Updates: There are three updates throughout the tournament weekend: Saturday 10:00 am; Saturday 8:00 pm; and Sunday 8:00 am. Updates will be posted in three places:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/FishPost. Latest updates will be posted to the top of our feed.
- Website: Latest updates will be posted on the Hatteras Results page.
- Weigh-In Stations: Each weigh-in station will have a whiteboard with the latest updates.
5. Can I register for the tournament on the Friday before fishing starts at midnight?
Yes. Registration is open from 2:00 pm until 11:00 pm on Friday, September 22, at Camp Hatteras Conference Center–24798 NC Highway 12 (soundside), Rodanthe, NC.
6. Do I have to come by Registration in person to pick up my arm band, or can I have someone stop by and pick it up for me?
Every angler must pick up their arm band in person. No exceptions.
7. Where are the five weigh stations and what hours are they open?
Each weigh station will announce their weekend hours by the start of Registration on Friday, September 22. The five weigh stations are as follows: Hatteras Jack (Rodanthe); Frank and Fran’s (Avon); Red Drum Tackle (Buxton); Frisco Tackle (Frisco); and Teach’s Lair (Hatteras Village).
8. Do all fish have to be weighed in alive?
No. Dead fish are acceptable in all categories, including the Slot Red Drum TWT.
9. For the Slot Red Drum TWT, do all red drum have to be in the slot?
Yes. All red drum weighed in must meet the NC Division of Marine Fisheries regulation of 18-27” pinched tail.
10. Does my entry fee include the Awards Dinner on Sunday?
Yes. We will be feeding every tournament participant for free on Sunday prior to the Awards Ceremony. This Awards Dinner is catered by Hatteras Jack and Century Rods who will be putting together a great meal for us to enjoy at the culmination of the weekend of fishing.
11. When do you do the raffles, and do I have to be present to win a raffle prize?
We will be doing the raffles immediately following awards on Sunday, and yes you have to be present to win.