Topsail Fall Surf and Pier Challenge FAQs
November 2 – 4, 2018
- Topsail Fall Surf & Pier Home
- Directions, Maps, and Boundaries
- Entry Form & Registration
- Become a Sponsor
TOPSAIL FALL SURF & PIER FISHING CHALLENGE FAQs
1. So people registered for the Surf Division only compete against other surf anglers, and people registered for the Pier Division only compete against other pier anglers?
Yes, that is correct.
2. The tournament is paying out for four different species of fish and five places per species for the Surf Division and four different species and three places per species for the Pier Division?
Yes, that is correct.
3. What about Red Drum TWT and the Junior, Lady, and Senior angler payouts? Are they all separate, too?
There is one Red Drum TWT for the Surf Division and one Red Drum TWT for the Pier Division, but there is only one set of Junior, Lady, and Senior champions–each champion will be based on the heaviest fish weighed in by either a Surf or Pier angler.
4. Do anglers have to fish from the same pier for the entire tournament?
No, anglers are free to move between the three qualifying piers (Jolly Roger, Surf City, and Seaview) as they wish during the hours of the competition.
5. Does my entry fee into the tournament earn me entry onto the piers?
No, participants much purchase a pier pass from the pier(s) they wish to fish over the course of the weekend.
6. May I use a trolley/pin rig from the pier?
Yes, as long as participants are fishing with no more than two rods at one time, a trolley or pin rig is acceptable (but a trolley/pin rig counts as both of your two rods).
7. Can fish be landed from the piers with drop nets/gaffs?
Drop nets are acceptable according to the rules; however, gaffs are not allowed.
8. Can we drive on the beach in Surf City?
Yes, but only for fishing purposes between the 1300 Block of South Shore Drive and Dolphin Street. The beach access is located at Kinston Avenue just south of the Surf City Pier, and vehicles must acquire a beach driving permit ($30) at the Surf City Police Department. Call (910) 328-4131 or visit www.surfcity.govoffice.com for more information.
9. Can we drive on the beach in North Topsail?
Yes, without a permit for a limited distance at Onslow County Beach Access #3, located at the north end of the island off River Road. Call (910) 328-1349 or visit www.ntbnc.org for more information.
10. Can we drive on the beach in Topsail Beach?
Yes, with a beach driving permit ($25/Week or $50/Year for non-residents). Call (910) 328-5481 or visit www.topsailbeach.org for more information.
11. When do you update the leaderboard over the weekend of fishing, and where can I find the updated leaderboards?
Updates will be done at 8:00 am on Saturday, 8:00 pm on Saturday, and 8:00 am on Sunday. Updated leaderboard results will be posted as soon as possible at all weigh stations and on Facebook (www.facebook.com/FishPost).
12. How do I find out information about camping, tents, fires, alcohol, and bathrooms for Surf City?
Contact the town of Surf City at (910) 328-4131 or visit www.surfcity.govoffice.com.
13. How do I find out information about camping, tents, fires, alcohol, and bathrooms for North Topsail?
Contact the Town of North Topsail Beach at (910) 328-1349 or visit www.ntbnc.org. Please note, though, that North Topsail Beach does not allow overnight camping or open fires.
14. How do I find out information about camping, tents, fires, alcohol, and bathrooms for Topsail Beach?
Contact the Town of Topsail Beach at (910) 328-5481 or visit www.topsailbeach.org.
15. Can I register for the tournament on the Friday before fishing starts at midnight?
Yes, registration is open from 2:00 until 11:00 pm Friday night at East Coast Sports under the big tent in the parking lot.
16. Do I have to come by Registration in person to pick up my arm band, or can I have someone stop by and pick it up for me?
Every angler must pick up their arm band in person at East Coast Sports under the big tent in the parking lot. No exceptions.
17. Do all fish have to be weighed in alive?
No, there are no live weigh-in requirements for any of the fish categories.
18. Where are the four weigh stations that are open from midnight Friday until noon on Sunday?
For the Pier Division, anglers must weigh their fish in at the pier the fish was caught—Seaview Pier (North Topsail Beach), Surf City Pier (Surf City), or Jolly Roger Pier (Topsail Beach). Surf anglers can weigh in at any pier, and they can also weigh in at East Coast Sports (Surf City).
19. When do you do the raffles, and do I have to be present to win a raffle prize?
We will be doing the raffles immediately following Awards on Sunday, and yes you have to be present to win.