Hatteras Island Surf Challenge Rules
September 28 – 30, 2018
- Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Home
- Directions, Maps, and Boundaries
- Entry Form & Registration
- Become a Sponsor
HATTERAS ISLAND SURF FISHING CHALLENGE RULES AND REGULATIONS
Click here for a printable version of the rules: 2018 Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge Rules.
- The tournament’s entry fee places you in all four categories—bluefish, flounder, sea mullet, and pompano. The entry fee does not place you in the Slot Red Drum TWT.
- All participants must be registered by 11:00 pm on Friday, September 28. Registration is on Friday, September 28, from 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm. You may pre-register by mailing in the entry form in our tournament booklet or on our website at www.FishermansPost.com (click on “Tournaments” and then “Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge”), or you may pre-register in person at Hatteras Jack (Rodanthe), Frank & Fran’s (Avon), Frisco Tackle (Frisco), or Teach’s Lair (Hatteras Village). You may only pre-register at these locations up until Thursday, September 27, at 5:00 pm; afterwards you must register in person on Friday, September 28, at Tournament HQ (Camp Hatteras Conference Center).
- The tournament fishing time starts 12:00 midnight on Friday, September 28, and lasts around the clock until 12:00 noon on Sunday, September 30.
- There are five weigh stations: (1) Hatteras Jack—Rodanthe; (2) Frank & Fran’s—Avon; (3) Red Drum Tackle—Buxton; (4) Frisco Tackle—Frisco; and (5) Teach’s Lair—Hatteras Village.
- The five weigh stations will announce the hours they will be open by the start of Registration at 3:00 pm on Friday, September 28. All fish must be in a weigh station line by 12:00 noon on Sunday, September 30.
- All participants must fish from the Hatteras Island surf. No boats. No sound or pier fishing. The North End boundary is the most northern house in Mirlo Beach/Rodanthe (NPS/Pea Island line). The South End boundary is 1/2 mile north of Hatteras Inlet (second to last beach driving path to left). Anglers are also not allowed to fish the Point (must fish north of Ramp 44 and must fish west of boundary fence below the Point).
- No fishing is permitted within 100 yards of Rodanthe and Avon fishing piers.
- All fish weighed must have been caught by the individual bringing the fish to a weigh station. All fish must be caught on hook and line.
- Each participant may not fish more than two rods at a time.
- No kites, balloon rigs, paddling out baits, bait cannons, or drones. No chumming or chum pots. No gaffing fish.
- The tournament will fish rain or shine—no makeup dates are scheduled.
- Each participant must physically stop by Registration on Friday, September 28, between 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm to receive the tournament wrist band—no exceptions. All participants must then display the tournament wrist band while fishing. No fish can be weighed in by an angler not displaying the tournament wrist band.
- All fish must adhere to North Carolina state size regulations.
- No cut or mutilated fish will be accepted.
- Any fish weighed in may become the property of the Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge.
- The Slot Red Drum TWT (tournament within a tournament) is voluntary for tournament anglers. It is offered as another way for you to win money. It has a payout ratio of 1st—50%, 2nd—30%, and 3rd—20%.
- All red drum weighed in must be in the slot. You may weigh in only one slot red drum on Saturday (up until 12:00 midnight) and only one slot red drum on Sunday.
- Prizes are awarded solely on the basis of fish weight. In the event of identical weights, the first fish weighed shall be declared the winner. In the event of identical weights and times, any prize money for one or both places on the leaderboard will be divided equally between the two participants.
- A participant may not place more than once in any one category, but a participant may place in multiple categories (for example, you can’t place twice in the Bluefish category, but you can place once in Bluefish, once in Sea Mullet, etc.). A participant may only place once in the Slot Red Drum TWT.
- Slot red drum do not count towards the Junior Angler, Lady Angler, and Senior Angler prizes.
- The Junior Angler must be 14-years-old or younger (as of September 28, 2018).
- The Lady Angler must be female and 15 years of age or older (as of September 28, 2018).
- The Senior Angler must be male and at least 60-years-old or older (as of September 28, 2018).
- By signing the entry form, the participant consents that the Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge may use without payment or restrictions any photographs in which he or she appears for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to resale, advertising, commercial, or promotional material.
- Anglers that appear to be in first or second place on Sunday morning in any division (including the TWT) must make it to Tournament HQ (Camp Hatteras Conference Center) by 1:00 pm to participate in a polygraph test. Showing up late or not showing up at all will postpone and/or cancel the reception of any tournament winnings.
- Any angler, if directed by the tournament committee, must submit to a polygraph test within 72 hours after the last fish has been weighed. This decision is at the sole discretion of the tournament committee. Should the test be failed or if the angler fails to participate in the polygraph test within the 72 hours, the tournament committee reserves the right to forfeit all winnings awarded to the winner in question.
- All protests made to the tournament committee shall be accompanied by a $200 cash deposit. All protests shall be made no later than one hour after the last fish has been weighed. The $200 cash deposit will be returned if the tournament committee upholds the protest. The $200 cash deposit will become the property of the Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge if the protest is not upheld. All decisions of the tournament committee shall be final.
- The tournament committee has the right to refuse entry from any applicant. If an entry is refused, then 100% of the applicant’s entry fee will be returned.
- All participants are responsible for reading and following all rules and regulations set forth by the Hatteras Island Surf Fishing Challenge.
Questions? Contact Fisherman’s Post at (910) 452-6378 or email@example.com.